Influencer Marketing: How to Choose Influencers for Your Brand
With over 3 million influencers across major social platforms today, the influencer marketing landscape is continuously growing. From startup to high-rise marketing, this article will guide you on what you need to know about influencer marketing and how to get started on your first partnership. Interested? Let’s start!
Influencer Marketing Vs. Traditional Marketing
Influencer marketing is an effective and affordable alternative to traditional marketing. According to recent studies, influencer marketing content generates 11 times better ROI than traditional marketing tactics.
Unlike traditional approaches that use print ads or commercials, hiring influencers gives more value to the audience. Rather than interrupting viewers with unwanted messages, influencer marketing taps into existing communities and social connections naturally.
How to Find Local Influencers for Your Brand
Local influencers have built a notable following. They are respected voices in their local area and have an established connection with followers.
Here are some tips to consider when starting with local influencer marketing:
1. Define Your Brand Identity
Defining your brand identity determines what makes your brand unique. Think about your target audience and what image you want to convey. The more cohesive your influencer partnerships, the more impactful your campaigns will be.
Some key elements of brand identity include:
- Logo and color scheme
- Voice and tone
- Brand messaging
2. Look for Influencers in Your Niche
Looking for different types of influencer in your niche allows you to tap into an established audience already interested in your industry or products. These marketing influencers have built trust and credibility with their followers. Which makes them more likely to influence purchasing decisions.
Here are some tips when choosing influencers in your niche:
- Engagement: Look for influencers with high engagement rates, not just follower counts. Check likes, comments, and shares to see how engaged their followers are.
- Authenticity: Choose influencers who genuinely care about their topic or community. Their passion and authenticity will come through to followers.
- Values: Look for influencers whose values and messaging align with your brand. Their content and recommendations need to be a good fit.
- Consistency: Pick influencers who post regularly and consistently. Irregular influencers may not move the needle or provide enough exposure. Look for at least 2-3 social posts per week.
3. Consider the 3Rs of Influence
Influence consists of three components, namely relevance, reach, and resonance. Considering these assures that you team with influencers who are a good fit for reaching your target audience. Here’s why each aspect is important:
- Relevance: A relevant influencer will help you establish authenticity and credibility. Their content should align with your brand values, product offerings, and target demographic.
- Reach: A smaller, highly engaged audience can often be more impactful than a larger but less engaged one. However, reach alone is not enough. So make sure the influencer’s audience is also relevant to your brand.
- Resonance: This is the level of engagement and connection between an influencer and their audience. Look for influencers with more likes, comments, and shares on their posts.
4. Reach Out and Negotiate
After identifying potential influencers that match your brand, it’s time to reach out and begin negotiations. Have an open conversation about expectations, usage rights, and compensation.
Remember, a strong, authentic relationship with influencers leads to the most effective campaigns. Be transparent, flexible, and willing to renegotiate terms to build trust and encourage the best results. With the right influencers and terms in place, you’ll gain access to new audiences and high-quality content to boost your brand.
5. Measure Your Results
Measuring your results helps you know the impact of your influencer marketing efforts. It allows you to evaluate the effectiveness of your campaigns, make data-driven decisions, and optimize future collaborations.
To determine if your influencer marketing campaign is achieving the desired results, you need to:
- Track the number of followers each influencer gained during the campaign.
- Measure impressions and engagement for each influencer post.
- Use trackable links, discount codes, and affiliate links in the influencer’s posts.
- See which influencers are driving the most clicks, sales, and sign-ups
Other Influencer Marketing Tips
So, what makes a good influencer? Identifying common errors is important as it ensures success and effectiveness in your influencer campaigns. By removing errors, you can save time, money and protect your brand’s reputation. Here’s what you should avoid doing:
Prioritizing Follower Count Over Engagement
When choosing influencers to partner with, don’t just look at their follower count. Focus on their engagement rate. Nano influencers with under 10,000 followers, in particular, often have the highest engagement at 4% on average.
Traditional knowledge says more followers means more marketing power, but that’s not always true. Look at the comments, shares, repins, and retweets on an influencer’s posts, not just the likes. These show how invested their followers are.
Not Setting Expectations Upfront
Not establishing clear expectations upfront with your influencers can lead to issues. Be transparent about what you’re looking for in the partnership so both are on the same page. Discuss metrics, content requirements, sponsorship details, and compensation before launching the campaign.
Ask yourself these questions:
- What kind of content (posts, stories, live videos) do you want the influencer to create?
- How often should they post?
- Do you have specific hashtags, captions, or CTAs in mind?
- How will you measure the success and ROI of the partnership?
- Will the influencer receive a free product, commission, a flat fee, or a combination?
Setting the right expectations initially will help build trust and lead to an authentic, impactful influencer marketing collaboration. The more details you can provide upfront, your campaign will run smoother.
Grow Your Brand With Us
Looking for influencers who genuinely care about your brand honestly and meaningfully?
At KOL-LAB, our influencers can promote your products to their followers hassle-free! No need to spend all that time researching. With us, you can craft a mutually beneficial relationship and track the results of your campaigns. Contact us today!